After a long winter, Spring is finally in the air. The buds are beginning to burst forth, and the trees and flowers are starting to bloom. Sunshine is intensifying; it’s time to release the winter overload and get ready for summer. Spring gives us the opportunity and momentum to declutter not only our homes but primordially ourselves, reassess our health, and better our lifestyle with a Spring Cleanse that will reset us for the Summer.
Winter usually sees most people indulging in the cozy pleasures of alcohol, sweets, and way too much food. Even if you do have a pretty clean-living lifestyle, most of the year-round indulgences do happen during the cold dark months of winter. To enjoy a healthy spring and summer, according to Ayurveda, you need to understand your Kapha dosha: its Kapha’s quality that endows your body with its earthy qualities. It provides lubrication for joints, as well as mucus to protect the sensitive tissues of your sinuses, lungs, and stomach; it also determines the size, strength, and suppleness of your muscles.
When Kapha is in balance, you feel strong, composed, and stable. When it’s out of balance, you might feel sleepy, mentally dull, or depressed. You may also experience excess phlegm in the lungs and sinuses, nausea, unhealthy weight gain, water retention, or heaviness in the limbs.
It’s especially important to balance Kapha in the spring because Kapha accumulates during the winter and can create diseases by the time spring arrives. In spring, you need to shed this excess Kapha or risk becoming vulnerable to seasonal allergies and head colds. You might also gain or retain weight or succumb to general lethargy or emotional dullness.
Your ayurvedic prescription for spring is to develop a rhythm and routine that helps you gradually lighten up through a cleanse physically, mentally, and emotionally without disturbing the stable virtues of Kapha: and this is why it is crucial to go on the right kind of Cleanse that is multidimensional and includes eating lighter foods.
A cleanse invigorates you by reducing your toxic load, allowing your organs to recover and regenerate. Detoxification also promotes healing, not only for the body but for your overall well-being. Signs of toxicity include fatigue, headaches, low energy level, bad mood, skin breakouts, digestive issues, dark circles under the eyes, low libido, and low immune function.
Cleansing is therapeutic, making you feel lighter and brighter. The key is choosing one that works integrally, as some are quite restrictive and may create unbalance. Doing a cleanse is hitting a reset button for your life. It will help to increase your energy levels, balance your hormones, improve digestion, give your adrenals a much-needed break, help break cravings and make you feel joyous all over, not to mention give you beautiful glowing skin.
Also, a Cleanse is an opportunity to improve our lifestyle, but more often than not, we do detoxes only at the level of food: Juice cleanses, water fasts, and lemon detoxes are some of the types of detoxes out there. The question is, how effective and safe are these types of detox? If done correctly, doing a detox can be beneficial for your health and balance. However, if you do the wrong type of detox, you could run the risk of experiencing lots of side effects, gaining weight, or getting fed up and not completing it. You could even unbalance emotionally and mentally.
A Yogic cleanse, a 21-day Cleanse & Reset Purification is an Integral detox which means that alongside what we ingest, we enhance the physical purification with gentle yoga practices that remove the impurities that have settled in our joints, muscles, and tissues that need specific movements and breathing to get unstuck from our body-mind. Specific practices are also given to address emotional balance, mental calmness & clarity. These, in turn, improve our overall health & boost our immune system.
A Cleanse is a process of removing harmful substances from the body. We are exposed to toxins all the time; the air we breathe, the food we eat, products we put on our skin, recreational habits such as smoking, alcohol, and coffee, environmental pollutants, and cleaning chemicals. But also toxic habits, companies, and ways of doing and living.
Constant exposure to toxins puts our bodies under a huge amount of strain, and it requires our detoxification organs (kidneys, liver, lungs, skin, and bowels) to work extra hard to expel them. Cleansing is a great way to cleanse the body-mind and reduce your toxic load, allowing your organs to recover and regenerate. A proper cleanse promotes healing in the body, emotional balance, calm & clarity of mind, vitality, and Joy!
If you are trying to progress, succeed, and better your life, then a cleanse is the first step, as it promotes balance: without balance, there is no progress or success.
In order to detox safely, we believe in doing things gently, supporting the body to expel toxins at a comfortable rate rather than overloading it. That is why a good cleanse should be gentle and last a minimum of 21 days. In this time, the body has the time not only to release toxins but to regenerate, and as that happens, we also balance emotionally and find serenity and calmness of mind. In a 21-Day cleanse, we have the time to embody new lifestyle habits that will stay with us moving our life ever more toward balance.
During a cleanse, you eliminate sugary foods, alcohol, caffeine, and excess meat and dairy. Focus on increasing raw plant foods, i.e., vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and legumes, as well as balance your water intake. By reducing animal-based foods, sugar, and stimulants, you give your body a break and help it reduce its toxic load. If you can choose organic food.
You can start your day simply with
- A glass or 2 of warm water with lemon juice & Turmeric
- A green smoothie
After 10:30 eat only two meals a day with a 6 hr gap: no snacking!!
For Lunch or Brunch (your main meal):
- Chia pudding or
- Buckwheat porridge or
- Whole grain bread or rice crackers with avocado, tomato, hummus, cucumber
- A simple vegetable salad
- Nuts and Seeds
- Smoothies or juices
Try to eat only two meals and not snack. Dine before sunset:
- Roasted veggies
- Stir-fries and Curries
- Buckwheat, chickpeas, beans, and steamed veggie
Drink Green tea instead of coffee and water only when you are thirsty.
Here are some safe ways to cleanse each specific organs
Lymphatic System Detox
- Daily dry skin brushing to improve circulation, energize the body and remove dead skin cells. Use a body brush with natural, hard bristles. Start at the feet and brush up towards the heart.
- Take a salt bath using either Himalayan salt or Epsom salt. Acidic toxins are drawn out of the body, moving from the skin to the water. This is very alkalizing for the body and leaves you feeling more energized. Use 1kg of salts and stay in the bath for at least 30 minutes. Drink a good amount of filtered water afterward.
- Have a sauna or Ha-mam as it helps to flush out toxins, increase circulation, oxygenate your cells and improve immune health. Always take a cold shower after a sauna and rest as much as possible.
- Castor oil packs on the stomach are great for improving digestive function and enhancing circulation through the pelvic area to relieve pain and congestion associated with PMS, endometriosis, and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Soak a piece of flannel or cotton cloth in organic castor oil and place it on the abdomen. Cover the fabric with plastic wrap and put a hot water bottle on top to heat the pack. Leave it on your stomach for 45-60 minutes.
- Cruciferous vegetables – kale, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
- Asparagus, artichoke, beetroot
- Lemons, grapefruit
- Broccoli sprouts
- Mung beans
- Onions and garlic
- Blueberries, pomegranate
- Eliminate alcohol and caffeine.
- Avoid trans fats and junk food.
- Start the day with the juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water.
- Take liver cleansing herbs such as milk thistle, dandelion root, Schisandra, rosemary, and turmeric.
- Support your liver with nutrients that promote detoxification, including B6, B12, vitamin C, CoQ10, glutamine, choline, cysteine, and methionine.
- Drink dandelion leaf tea, nettle tea, and celery seed tea.
- Ensure you drink at least two liters of filtered water daily.
- Avoid table salt and excessive animal proteins.
- Consume a good amount of soluble fiber, such as linseed and water, to encourage bowel activity.
- Take bitter herbs like dandelion root and globe artichoke to improve digestion and promote bile secretion (bile has a mild laxative effect).
As your body works hard to rid itself of toxins and withdraw from addictive substances such as coffee and sugar, it’s normal to experience the following symptoms:
- Gas and bloating
- Skin breakouts
- Loose bowels or constipation
- Brain fog
Experiencing symptoms such as bloating and fatigue during a cleanse is normal as your body expels toxins. Symptoms should subside after a few days. We recommend drinking more filtered water to help flush out the toxins and increase fluids in your cells. However, when you support the detox with Yoga Practices, these symptoms may be reduced considerably.
Cleanse & Reset to shine on for the Sun season
Doing a detox is a great way to clear out harmful substances from the body, helping your cells to heal and regenerate. If done correctly, a gentle cleanse can increase your energy levels, boost your immune system, improve circulation and brighten your complexion. When doing the 21-Day Yoga Cleanse & Reset, you will also strengthen your willpower and learn how to incorporate healthy habits to bring yourself always toward balance. But the rewards are non-negotiable, and you will shine from the inside out and reset your life!